Salty, scrumptious vegan feta cheese is a must-have with all of your favorite Greek dishes. And it’s so incredibly easy to make at home! This no-cook and entirely plant-based tofu feta recipe is perfect to make ahead and keep in the fridge to enjoy on salads, wraps, and appetizer spreads. Or simply scoop and eat with pita chips for a tasty snack!
I don’t know about you, but whenever someone mentions Mediterranean food my mind immediately goes to feta cheese. Then my mouth starts to water just thinking about those salty little cheesy delights crumbled on ev.er.y.thing.
Vegan feta cheese made with tofu has that wonderful kinda/sorta firm texture and saltiness you crave… But is entirely dairy-free and made with plant-based ingredients!
This tofu feta recipe is a breeze to put together and perfect to make ahead. No cooking required! You simply press and dice the tofu, season, and marinate to perfection in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Extra-firm tofu
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar
- Garlic clove
- Fresh parsley
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
Note: A tofu press really comes in handy for this recipe. Not required, but definitely recommended!
How to Make Vegan Feta Cheese with Tofu
I love that this no-cook recipe only takes 4 simple steps to make with less than 30 minutes of prep time. And then Opa! just like that, you’re loaded with plenty of feta to use in your fave Mediterranean-inspired dishes.
- First you need to press the tofu. This is an essential process for removing as much water as possible from the tofu so that it’s extra-firm and tender. Use a tofu press if you have one, or you can press the tofu “by hand.” To do this you should wrap the block of tofu in kitchen or paper towels, and sandwich the tofu between two plates. Then place something heavy, like a large book, on the top plate to press and extract the water. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Once pressed, either cut the tofu into small cubes or tear it into small chunks to resemble traditional feta cheese. Place the pieces into a container with a lid.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the container, and close tightly. Gently but thoroughly shake to combine and get the tofu coated.
- Place the sealed container in the fridge and let marinade for at least 4 hours. If you can wait, I suggest you let it chill for at least 7 hours or even overnight. Taste again before you serve, and add a pinch more salt if needed.
What to Serve with Vegan Feta Cheese
Enjoy these yummy, salty cubes of plant-based goodness in recipes that call for dairy feta. They’re perfect to include in fresh Greek salads and veggie wraps, on pizzas and sandwiches!
Homemade tofu feta cheese is also great to include on a Mediterranean vegan charcuterie board with homemade hummus, pita chips, Greek olives, and red peppers.
Keep the feta stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
For longer storage, cover the tofu with olive oil after putting the cubes into a fridge-safe container. This will help to preserve the dairy-free feta for 2-3 weeks. Just note that the oil will change the taste and texture of the feta a bit.
If you tried this vegan feta cheese recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up.
If You Like This Delicious Dairy-Free Recipe, You’ll Love:
Vegan Feta Cheese – Tofu Feta
- 1 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Press tofu: wrap tofu block in paper towels or a kitchen towel and sandwich between two plates. Set a heavy object on the top plate press for 20-30 minutes. You can also use a tofu press if you have one!
- Once the tofu is pressed, cut the tofu block into cubes and place it in a container with a lid. You can also tear the tofu to look like feta crumbles!
- Add water, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Secure lid and shake well.
- Let the tofu marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed! I typically add a bit more salt.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!