Icy cold coffee smoothies are sure to wake you up with a sweet start. This easy vegan coffee smoothie recipe includes cold brew ice cubes and oat milk for a perfectly creamy and refreshing blended drink to enjoy in the morning – or anytime of the day!
There’s nothing better than a cold and highly-caffeinated iced coffee smoothie to really wake you up in the morning. Or afternoon. Or evening. Really, anytime you need some pep in your step!
While blended coffee drinks are simple and easy to make, my recipe is super fantastic thanks to the cold brew coffee ice cubes… These babies are made with stout cold brew and creamy oat milk, and won’t water down your smoothie like plain water ice cubes. They take this homemade vegan coffee smoothie to the next level of coffeehouse-quality goodness!
Plus I’ve added ground flaxseed and peanut butter for an even more delicious taste and nutrients in every sip. You’ll love making this recipe as part of a healthy and filling breakfast – with caffeine!
- Cold brew ice cubes
- Cold brew can you regular brewed coffee, but it must be chilled!
- Oat milk
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Ground flaxseeds
- Peanut butter
How to Make Cold Brew Ice Cubes
The first step to make this yummy cold coffee smoothie is to whip up a batch of cold brew ice cubes.
- Combine the cold brew coffee and oat milk in a large glass.
- Pour the mixture into ice cube trays.
- Freeze for 4+ hours.
You need to get these in the freezer at least 4 hours before you plan to blend the smoothie to make sure they’re completely frozen. But the cold brew cubes can be prepared and frozen several days ahead of time… Just keep in the freezer for whenever you get a last-minute iced coffee craving!
How to Make the Best Vegan Coffee Smoothie
The smoothies themselves are pretty much just as easy to make as the cold brew ice cubes. I would call this a 5 minute smoothie recipe, but it doesn’t even take that long! So, here you go – a roughly 3.5 minute recipe to prepare a thick and creamy coffee smoothie without banana:
First, add cold brew ice cubes and the rest of the ingredients into a large blender jar.
Blend on high until smooth. If it seems a bit too thick, add a splash more oat milk and blend again.
Pour into glasses and serve right away.
These sweet and refreshing iced coffee smoothies are great to enjoy plain for breakfast, or all fancied-up with vegan whipped cream.
Coffee Smoothie Recipe Variations
While this basic coffee smoothie recipe is a fabulous starting point, feel free to get creative with your versions. Here are just a few ideas for how to change things up:
- Swap the cold brew coffee with regular brewed coffee to make the ice cubes and smoothie. You can even use instant coffee made per the container instructions. No matter what just be sure that the coffee is completely chilled first!
- I love oat milk for it’s rich, creamy texture and light flavor. However you can use nearly any dairy-free plant milk. Try almond milk, cashew milk, thin coconut milk, or soy milk if you prefer.
- Ground flaxseed adds a great earthy taste and lots of nutrients, but you can leave out or substitute with a teaspoon of chia seeds and/or protein powder.
- Substitute the peanut butter with another nut butter, like almond or cashew butter.
- This recipe is enough to make 2 smoothies. Double or triple the ingredients to make 4-6 servings.
How to Make Flavored Coffee Smoothies
There are lots of ways to add pizazz to a blended iced coffee. These are some suggestions to get you going:
My original recipe is for a coffee smoothie without banana, but yeah – you can totally add one for a peanut butter and banana smoothie with a kick of caffeine.
For a chocolate coffee smoothie add 1 tablespoon of quality cocoa powder before blending. You can squirt in a bit of your favorite vegan chocolate syrup, too. Or splash in an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract, use vanilla oat milk, or add vanilla simple syrup to make a refreshingly sweet vanilla coffee smoothie.
In fact, you can add just about any flavored coffee syrups you want! Try hazelnut, almond, caramel, or fruit-flavored syrups to make the blended iced coffee of your dreams. I’d personally go for the healthier sugar-free options with as few ingredients as possible.
Another idea is to add a generous sprinkling of ground cinnamon or nutmeg before you blend the smoothie to give it a slightly warm, spicy flavor.
More Tips for Making this Easy Vegan Coffee Smoothie Recipe
- For a heartier and more substantial breakfast smoothie or snack, add a 1/4 cup of quick oats when blending.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of protein powder or green superfood powder for an extra boost of nutrients.
- Want a thicker smoothie? You can flash freeze banana slices for at least one hour before blending. Or keep this a smoothie recipe without banana by preparing 2xs the amount of cold brew ice cubes and including a few extra cubes when you blend. If adding frozen banana or more ice cubes then you’ll want to reduce the amount of cold brew coffee used from 1 1/2 cups to 1 1/4 cup.
- Prep this recipe ahead of time for a super easy breakfast smoothie. Make the cold brew coffee and ice cubes whenever you get a chance. Keep the coffee in the fridge and the ice cubes in the freezer for up to a week. Then quickly blend together when you get up in the morning!
If you tried this coffee smoothie recipe let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Coffee Smoothie
Cold Brew Ice Cubes:
- 1 cup cold brew can also use regular brewed coffee
- 1 cup oat milk can substitute with any plant milk
- 3 cups cold brew ice cubes
- 1.5 cup cold brew can you regular brewed coffee, but it must be chilled!
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- Combine cold brew and oat milk in a measuring glass. Fill ice cube tray and place in freezer for 4 hours to overnight.
- Combine cold brew ice cubes with more cold brew, oat milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, ground flaxseeds, and peanut butter in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy immediately!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!