I introduce to you the BEST vegan chocolate chip cookies! Crispy on the edges, soft and chewy in the center, they are a must-try!
Is there anything more comforting than a chocolate chip cookie?!
Cookies are my favorite desserts to make. They are super easy and always rewarding. From oatmeal cookies to GF peanut butter cookies, and even almond joy cookies, it’s safe to say I’m a cookie enthusiast.
Ingredients for vegan chocolate chip cookies
- Ground flaxseed
- Coconut oil
- Cane sugar
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips
Best vegan chocolate chips
I usually buy Trader Joe’s chocolate chips which are vegan. If you don’t live by a TJ’s, Enjoy Life is a great vegan chocolate chip brand!
How to make vegan chocolate chip cookies
- Using a hand mixer, combine the softened coconut oil and sugar. The mixture will be light and fluffy (fig. 1)
- Add vanilla extract and flax “egg”. Beat until just combined (fig. 2)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) (fig. 3)
- Add to the wet mixture and beat until just combined
- Add chocolate chips and use a rubber spatula to fold in (fig. 4)
The mixture might be dry/crumby, so you can add a little bit of water (1 Tablespoon at a time) until the desired consistency is reached. The dough should look crumbly but be soft and pliable when you form it into balls.
Form cookie dough balls using a cookie scoop or a heaping Tablspoon’s worth.
Tip: To get those perfectly placed chocolate chips, gently press some in the top of each cookie before baking!
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes and you’re done!
Mix-ins for chocolate chip cookies
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc)
- Chopped pretzel pieces
Freezing and Storing Instructions:
How to store chocolate chip cookies:
- Chocolate chip cookies can be left on the counter in an airtight container for 3-5 days
- They can be stored in the fridge for a couple of weeks
- They can be stored in the freezer for about 3 months
How to freeze chocolate chip cookies:
I recommend placing a sheet of parchment paper in between each layer of cookies in an airtight container so they do not freeze together. To thaw, take them out of the fridge and allow them to come to room temperature.
Can cookie dough be refrigerated?
Yes! Keep the cookie dough in the fridge for up to 24 hours. I recommend forming the cookie dough balls and storing them that way. To bake, place on a cookie sheet and bake according to the the recipe.
Can you freeze cookie dough?
Form into balls and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, place in an airtight container or freezer bag (this method ensures they will not freeze together). When ready to bake, place cookie dough balls on a lined baking sheet and bake for a few minutes longer than the recipe calls for (no thawing needed!)
These easy vegan chocolate chip cookies are perfect for any special occasion or just a spur of the moment sweet treat! It’s my favorite dessert to whip up because nine times out of ten I have all these ingredients on hand.
If you tried this vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
More vegan cookies and desserts you’ll LOVE:
Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Vegan and GF Chickpea Blondies
Almond Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 flax egg (1 Tablespoon flax seed + 3 Tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil softened
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 Tablespoons water if needed
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks ensure they are vegan
- sea salt flakes for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Make flax "egg": In a small bowl, mix ground flaxseed with water. Let sit 5-10 minutes until it becomes gelatinous.
- Add coconut oil, cane sugar, and coconut sugar to a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix on low-medium until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add vanilla extract and flax egg. Mix with a hand mixer until just combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and using a hand mixer, mix until just combined. If the dough is too firm, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. The dough should be pliable.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, make cookies and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly before transferring to cooling rack. Top with sea salt!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!