Wonderfully crunchy, terrifically refreshing and tasty vegan chickpea collard green wraps are a low carb and gluten-free alternative to traditional tortilla wraps and sandwiches. These healthy and handy delights are super easy to make, and perfect for filling with your favorite veggies and vegan-friendly goodies!
There is nothing to not love about these crisp and flavorful vegan chickpea collard green wraps.
Collard green leaves are a great gluten-free and low carb sub for flour tortillas or bread. Plus, they are incredibly delicious and packed with nutrients! When blanched the leaves become sturdy yet tender, and are perfect for loading up with plant-based spreads and veggies.
This easy lunch or light dinner recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes, and can even be customized to your tastes. Here I share with you my favorite rainbow of goodies to roll into a collard green wrap – but feel free to swap out ingredients as you like! With my handy tips you’ll be able to whip up your own version of vegan collard green wraps anytime you need a fresh, healthy and satisfying meal in a hurry and/or on the go.
- Collard greens
- Salt – for blanching the leaves
- Hummus – store bought or homemade hummus
- Canned chickpeas – drained
- Cucumber – cut into spears
- Carrot – sliced into thin sticks
- Graph tomatoes – halved
- Red cabbage – shredded
- Bell pepper – seeded and sliced thin
- Microgreens – like pea shoots or radish stems
Plus your favorite sauce or dressing to dip!
HOW TO MAKE COLLARD GREEN WRAPS WITH CHICKPEAS AND VEGGIES
The first step for making the best leafy wraps is to prep and blanch the collard green leaves. Rinse the leaves under cool water and pat dry, and then chop the bottom of the stem off, leaving the spine intact.
Here’s how to quickly and easily blanch collard green leaves:
- Fill a large bowl with ice water, and set aside.
- Next, bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Working one or two at a time, cook the leaves in the boiling water for two minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the collard green leaves from the boiling water, and immediately plunge into the bowl of ice water. This stops the cooking process and makes the leaves strong enough to roll.
- Place the leaves on a paper towel or kitchen towel, and gently pat dry.
Once the leaves have all been blanched and cooled, lay each collard green leaf flat, face up, and fill with your ingredients.
Like in the picture above, first spread on the hummus down the middle of the leaf, leaving about an inch of space all around. They layer the chickpeas, thinly sliced cucumbers, carrots and bell pepper, halved tomatoes, cabbage, and microgreens. Be careful to not overfill the wraps!
To roll the collard green wraps, start by holding the leaf horizontal in front of you and folding in the shorter edges on the sides. Then roll from the top of the wrap, and tuck as you roll down and over, like a burrito. Continue to gently put pressure on the outer edges to keep the sides tucked in as you roll.
Place the prepared vegan chickpea collard green wraps seam side down on a plate.
Enjoy right away or refrigerate for up to a couple hours. After a few hours the leaves start to lose their fresh texture and the wraps aren’t quite as tasty.
When ready to serve, slice the wraps in half with a super sharp knife… If the knife is dull it will squish the center and likely cause ingredients to fall out of the sides. Keep the wraps with the seam down so that they stay closed!
IDEAS FOR OTHER INGREDIENTS TO INCLUDE IN YOUR COLLARD GREEN WRAPS
You can customize these fantastic wraps however you like and with nearly any vegan-friendly ingredients you have on hand. Here are just a few ideas for variations of this recipe for you to try:
- Sub collard greens with Swiss chard for a slightly sweeter wrap that is just as healthy and easy to prepare.
- Swap the whole canned chickpeas for just hummus.
- Add avocado or homemade guacamole.
- Along with avocado, include black beans and corn for a southwestern version.
- Fill your vegan collard green wraps with Curried Chickpea Salad, Buffalo Chickpea salad or classic No Mayo Chickpea Salad.
- Make these vegan ‘Tuna’ Salad wraps.
What are you favorite ingredients to include in leafy wraps? Let me know in the comments!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKPEA COLLARD GREEN WRAPS
Crisp and cool veggie wraps pair perfectly with your favorite plant-based dressing on the side for dipping. They are super yummy with creamy Vegan Ranch Dressing or bold and tangy Carrot Ginger Dressing.
For a satisfying lunch serve these low carb wraps with pasta salad, soup, or a simple fresh green lettuce salad.
Or enjoy as a complete hearty dinner with brown rice, quinoa, or your preferred whole grain side dish.
If you tried this vegan chickpea collard greens wrap recipe let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Chickpea Collard Green Wraps
- 6 large collard green leaves can substitute with swiss chard
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 10-ounce container hummus see notes for homemade hummus recipe
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cucumber cut into strips
- 1 carrot peeled and julienned
- handful grape tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1/4 small head red cabbage sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into slices
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add ice cubes. Set aside. This is to blanch your greens.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 Tablespoon salt (don't worry, most of this salt is cooked off!)
- Add collard green leaves, 1-2 at a time and cook for 2 minutes. Using tongs, carefully transfer leaves to the bowl of ice water. This stops the cooking process.
- Once leaves are all cooked and cooled, place them on a kitchen towel and pat dry. Transfer to a clean and dry surface.
- Build your wraps! Start by spreading a thin layer of hummus and top with chickpeas and veggies.
- Wrap your collard greens like a burrito. While looking at the wrap and the rib (stem) of the collard green horizontal, fold in the edges and roll the collard green. Place wraps seam side down.
- Serve fresh with your favorite dressing or sauce!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!