This easy recipe features fresh veggies plus almond milk and nutritional yeast to make the creamiest, most velvety smooth vegan broccoli cheddar soup from scratch.
Luscious, cheesy broccoli soup is deliciously comforting and super simple to make at home. This vegan version tastes just as rich and bright as classic broccoli cheddar soup, but uses plant-based ingredients to create that perfectly creamy base you know and love.
Ingredients for this Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
This is one of those wholesome recipes that you can feel really good about enjoying. It includes only a dozen simple ingredients, many of which are pantry staples.
To make the best vegan-friendly broccoli soup you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Vegetable broth
- Almond milk
- Nutritional yeast
I recommend using fresh broccoli for this recipe, but in a pinch you can use frozen broccoli florets.
How to Make Creamy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Broccoli cheddar soup is an easy one pot recipe that’s ready to enjoy in less than an hour. But note that you will need a standing or immersion blender to make the creamiest, smoothest soup.
Follow these simple steps for making hands-down the best dairy-free vegan broccoli soup with a rich cheddar taste:
- First, add oil to a large cooking pot over medium heat on the stove. Then add onion and sauté for a couple of minutes before adding the chopped garlic. Continue to cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Next stir in the potatoes, carrots, and seasonings.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Once the potatoes are fork-tender, add the almond milk and nutritional yeast, and stir well.
- Working in batches, blend portions of the soup in a blender until smooth, and add back to the pot. Make sure that your blender is heat-safe; otherwise, you’ll need to let the soup cool a bit before blending. (If using an immersion blender, turn off the stovetop heat before using the stick blender to carefully puree the soup.) After the soup has been blended, bring the temperature back up on the stove to medium low and add the broccoli florets. Continue to cook until the broccoli is done, about 10 minutes if using fresh broccoli.
Taste the soup once it’s done, and add extra salt and pepper to taste before serving warm.
A warm, comforting bowl of cheesy broccoli soup is great for lunch or dinner, and goes well with lots of sides.
Serve with a basket of hot homemade Super Flaky Rosemary Biscuits, your favorite rolls, or crunchy crackers. For a lighter meal, enjoy broccoli cheddar soup with a fresh garden salad loaded with veggies.
Variations of this Broccoli Soup Recipe
- I use almond milk to create the creamy base of this broccoli and “cheddar” soup, but feel free to substitute with canned full fat coconut milk or cashew milk for even more cheddar flavor.
- Need even more cheesy goodness? Add a generous handful of your favorite plant-based shredded cheese to the hot soup just before serving.
- Blended potatoes are what give this soup its terrific creaminess without any dairy products. To make a creamier, thicker soup you can stir in a cup of non-dairy sour cream or Greek yogurt after turning off the stovetop heat.
How to Store Leftover Vegan Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Transfer soup that’s been cooled to room temperature to an airtight container, and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. It can be reheated in a microwave or on the stovetop. But note that you want to reheat until just hot so that you don’t overcook the broccoli and turn it mushy.
If you tried this vegan broccoli cheddar soup recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Here are More Vegan Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Vegan Southwestern Soup
- Lentil Leek Soup with Mushrooms and Kale
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup (With Chickpeas!)
- Easy Vegan Chili with Sriracha
- Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 small Yukon potatoes chopped (about 2.5-3 cups)
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 cups broccoli chopped finely (1 large head)
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the pot and mix well. Add vegetable broth and stir.
- Bring soup to a boil, once it's bubbling, reduce heat and allow soup to simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in almond milk and nutritional yeast. Add soup to a blender and blend until smooth (you will most likely have to do this in batches. It takes me 2 batches). You can also use an immersion blender.
- Pour soup back into the pot over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook until tender, stirring frequently (about 10 minutes).
- Serve warm!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!