Vegan beef and broccoli tastes better than classic versions of broccoli and beef, and is made entirely with plant-based ingredients like soy curls and flavorful liquid aminos. Try this easy meat-free dinner recipe with your favorite sides like steamed rice or noodles!
Classic “beef” and broccoli recipe made with all plant-based ingredients. This recipe is made with a new plant-based protein favorite of mine – soy curls!
Sounds intimidating, but they are actually super easy to make and are a healthy source of protein as opposed to mock meats.
Best of all, this recipe can be whipped up quickly, and you only need a handful of ingredients.
Ingredients You Need to Make Vegan Beef and Broccoli
To make this easy not-beef recipe you only need a handful of select ingredients, many which are vegan pantry staples. You need a bag of soy curls (keep reading for more on these magical delights), a fresh head of broccoli, your favorite cooking oil, plus ingredients to make a simple and super flavorful vegan beef and broccoli sauce:
- warm water
- liquid aminos
- coconut sugar
- garlic cloves
And I like to add a bit of red chili flakes to the sauce for a kick of heat, too.
What Are Soy Curls?
Delicious, incredibly versatile soy curls are dried pieces of whole soy bean. They are in the package dehydrated, and resemble a cross between a thin pork rind and dried, almost rubbery mushroom.
On their own there’s not much going on, but once water is added to soy curls they plump up and become amazingly tender. And when the rehydrated curls are cooked in a sauce they take on the flavor, like tofu. They are perfect for using as a replacement for beef in a number of dishes, like my meatless beef and broccoli recipe… with a familiar consistency but much more pleasing taste.
How to Cook Soy Curls
It only takes a little over 10 minutes to properly prepare soy curls for this recipe. Get them ready while you gather everything together to make the sauce for an easy prep!
- Fill a large bowl with warm water – not boiling.
- Add the dry soy curls and let them soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain the curls in a colander, and use your hands to gently squeeze out any remaining water.
While the soy curls are soaking, chop the broccoli into florets and whisk together the sauce ingredients.
Next, heat your preferred cooking oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drained soy curls and sauté, stirring frequently.
How to Make Vegan Beef and Broccoli with Soy Curls
Once the soy curls have cooked to a lovely golden brown, reduce the heat to medium and add the broccoli florets and water. Cook while stirring frequently for about 7 minutes, until the broccoli is just cooked through and becomes vibrant green.
Pour in the beef and broccoli sauce, stir, and cook for just a few more minutes so the sauce heats and thickens.
Serving Suggestions for Vegan Beef and Broccoli
Enjoy vegan broccoli and beef warm with your favorite starch-y sides, like:
- steamed white rice
- hearty brown rice or quinoa
- low carb cauliflower rice
- lo mein noodles
Some sprinklings of sesame seeds and sliced scallions over the entire dish also add great pops of fresh flavor and fun texture.
How to Store Leftovers
Transfer cooled leftovers to a container with a lid, and keep stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Cooked broccoli doesn’t tend to hold up well to being frozen, so I don’t recommend that you freeze leftovers. However, the soy curls in the sauce will freeze well – so feel free to make a large batch of the vegan “beef” and keep some in the freezer for meal preps for up to 3 months. Just defrost and cook with fresh broccoli plus some extra sauce.
If you tried this vegan beef and broccoli recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
More Plant-Based Dinner Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Vegan Peanut Noodles
- The Best Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Vegan Bibimbap (Korean Bowls)
- Teriyaki Tofu Bowls
- Vegan Thai Curry
Vegan Beef and BroccoliPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 8 ounce bag soy curls
- 1 large head broccoli chopped into florets
- 2 Tablespoons neutral oil canola, grapeseed, safflower, etc.
- cooked rice
- sesame seeds
- green onion sliced thinly
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Add soy curls and soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze out excess water with hands. Set aside.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- In a large deep pan over medium-high heat, heat oil and add soy curls. Sautee until golden brown (about 8-10 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium and add broccoli and 1/4 cup water. Cook until broccoli is vibrant green (about 7 minutes).
- Pour in the sauce and cook for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve warm over a bed of rice topped with sesame seeds and green onions.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!