Have some bananas going bad? Don’t fret, I have the recipe for you! Vegan banana muffins topped with a sweet, sugary walnut topping makes these muffins to die for. Perfect for brunch or a quick breakfast on the go, this healthy (ish) muffin recipe is a must try.
This post is sponsored by JORD Wood Watches as they were kind to send me this watch, but all the opinions are my own!
Let’s give it up for muffins!
Vegan banana muffins to be exact.
What makes these muffins so good?
Three words. Cinnamon. Streusel. Topping.
Ingredients in vegan banana muffins
People think it’s bananas (pun intended) that these banana muffins are vegan, but it’s the truth. Bananas actually work as a binding agent in baking (buh bye eggs) and in this recipe, we use flax “eggs” too.
We also use coconut oil in substitution for butter and whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. Now you see why I call them healthy-ish?!
How to make vegan banana muffins
- Make flax egg – simply mix ground flax seed and water and let sit.
- Mash bananas in a bowl and mix with almond milk, sugar, and coconut oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add flax egg and dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in walnuts.
Tips on muffin making:
- Mix the dry ingredients, and mix the wet. But once you combine the two, don’t over mix. This will make dense muffins.
- Preheat the oven to a high temp (425) and reduce to a lower temperature (375) when you bake the muffins. This helps give them a nice rise.
But the real secret weapon to this recipe is the STREUSEL topping. Brown sugar, chopped walnuts, and cinnamon make these vegan banana muffins taste like a delicious coffee cake upgrade.
No joke, you can’t skimp on this step.
Variations of these vegan banana muffins:
- Use a GF flour instead of whole wheat for a gluten-free muffin recipe
- If not vegan, use eggs instead of flax eggs
- Swap out walnut for pecans for a delicious flavor twist
- Add chocolate chips to the muffin batter for a decadent flavor combo
Please don’t cringe when I say the word, but these muffins are SO moist. Like melt-in-your-mouth moist. The walnuts add a nice crunch and the streusel topping is just the cherry on top. I love pairing these muffins with a cup of coffee or tea.
If you tried this vegan banana muffin with streusel topping recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Banana Muffins with Streusel ToppingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 Tablespoons water) can substitute with a room temperature egg
- 3-4 medium very ripe bananas (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut oil solid
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix flaxseed and water and set aside. Melt 1/4 cup coconut oil and allow to cool.
- Peel bananas and place in a large mixing bowl. Use a fork, mash bananas until there are no more large chunks
- Add almond milk, cane sugar, brown sugar, flax egg, and cooled melted coconut oil. Stir until well combined.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir until just combined. Muffin batter should be thick and wet.
- Fold in 3/4 cup chopped walnuts.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients for streusel topping. Use a fork to cut solid coconut oil into sugar.
- Scoop muffin batter into greased cupcake tin almost to the top. Spoon 1 Tablespoon streusel topping on top.
- REDUCE oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 18-20 minutes. Check doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!