Mmmmm peanut butter and jelly; there’s not a flavor combo out there that can beat it! Well that’s up for debate, but pb and j is where it’s at. This peanut butter and jelly snack bar recipe is a homemade spin on Lara bars – made from delicious, nutrient-dense ingredients that are all Whole 30 approved, vegan, refined sugar free and gluten free. So yea, the whole nine yards on the healthy scale. Instead of using peanut butter, these healthy snack bars call for almond butter to make it Whole 30 compliant. I can, however, vouch that subbing peanut butter is the bomb. Also, instead of traditional jelly, I made jelly made from fresh fruit and chia seeds. It’s way healthier than store bought jelly or jam because you can control the amount of sugar you use, or completely ompit it! These bars are a great snack to pack for lunch or to calm that hanger in between meals. Replace those high-carb, high-sugar, guilt-accompanying PB & J’s and try this snack bar recipe!
I used a bread loaf pan to make a nice bar size length wise, but a brownie pan would work great. You can cut them up in little squares to have a bite size treat. I also swirled the chia jam on top, but you can blend with all the other greetings too.
Note: Place in fridge for 4-6 hours before eating. This will minimize any crumbling and keep the bars intact.
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond butter (or substitute with peanut butter if not Whole 30)
- ½ cup berry chia jam ** (can substitute with store bought jam)
- Start by making berry chia jam. Instructions are explained in the notes. Let cool in the fridge while prepping the other ingredients
- Add all ingredients to a blender (minus berry chia jam) and blend until cashews and dates are in tiny pieces.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time to make the mixture dough-like and sticky. It should still be thick.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture into a bread loaf pan or brownie pan and push around until there is a smooth, even layer.
- Remove berry chia jam from the fridge and spread across the top.
- Place in the fridge for 4-6 hours (or overnight) to set.
Ready to eat some PB & J snack bars?
You can find this recipe along with other creations I’ve made on Brit + Co!
Related: Vegan PB & J Muffins