Making lunches to bring to work can be daunting. The food prep and cooking just takes too much time. If that go-to chopped salad recipe is starting to feel like a deadbeat relationship, keep reading. Here I’ll show you an easy-to-prep, make-ahead and healthy ramen recipe that will spice up your lunch menu! I made a simple vegan recipe packed with veggies, brown rice noodles and kimchi, but feel free to get creative with the ingredients. When you’re ready to eat, just pour hot water in your mason jar, mix and watch as your soup makes itself. Not only is this super simple, but it’s also easy to take on the go.
What I love about this recipe is it’s completely customizable and most of the ingredients are interchangeable.
I like to layer my “wet” ingredients on the bottom and have the noodles stay on top. This helps the ramen to not get too soggy. I used Better Than Bouillon as my stock paste. If you’ve never heard of this I order you to go get some right now because it is the shizzz. It makes water taste like a savory stock in no time. Seriously… it’s a cooking game changer.
- 1 teaspoon bouillon paste (I used Better than Bouillon vegetable paste, but you could also use chicken, beef, pork, miso or Thai curry paste.)
- 3 Tablespoons kimchi (or more if you like spice!) If kimchi isn’t your thing, try sesame seed oil, chili sauce or Sriracha.
- ½ cup veggies. I used corn, carrots and sautéed mushrooms. You could add spinach, peppers or bok choy. There are endless possibilities here.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice noodles. You can also try udon, soba noodles, vermicelli or spaghetti. Get creative!— green onions on top (optional)— mason jar (the wide mouth containers work best)
- Add bouillon paste to the bottom of a mason jar.
- Next add in your kimchi.
- Pack in your veggies.
- Put noodles on top.
- Top with green onions.
- When ready to eat, remove lid and pour hot water into the mason jar. Let sit for a few minutes, then enjoy!
You can find this recipe along with other creations I’ve made on Brit + Co