I know guysssss making lunches to bring to work can be daunting. The food prep and cooking just takes too much time. If that go-to chopped salad recipe is starting to feel like a deadbeat relationship, keep reading. I’ve been with you there my friends. I love salads, but sometimes I want to change things up. I mean change is good after all, right?! Here I’ll show you an easy-to-prep, make-ahead and healthy ramen recipe that will spice up your lunch menu! This simple vegan mason jar ramen recipe is packed with veggies, brown rice noodles and kimchi, but the best part is you can get real creative with the ingredients. When you’re ready to eat, just pour hot water in your mason jar, mix and watch as your soup makes itself. Not only is this super simple, but it’s also easy to take on the go.
What I love about this recipe is it’s completely customizable and most of the ingredients are interchangeable. All you need is a carb base (aka noodles), veggies, and a stock base to give the broth an umami flavor. If you’re feeling a Thai twist – try using curry paste and adding carrots, boy choy, and chopped bell peppers. Yumm!
I like to layer my “wet” ingredients on the bottom and have the noodles stay on top. What I mean by wet ingredients is kimchi, cooked vegetables, etc. This helps the ramen to not get too soggy. If using a leafy green such a spinach, it’s best to put it on the top so it doesn’t get smushed by the noodles. I know I’m making this recipe sound like a science, but I promise you it’s super simple. For the base I used Better Than Bouillon which is a stock paste. If you’ve never heard of this I order you to go get some right now because it is the a personal kitchen staple for me. It makes water taste like a savory stock in no time. Seriously… it’s a cooking game changer.
- 1 teaspoon bouillon paste (can substitute with chicken, beef, pork, miso or Thai curry paste.)
- 3 Tablespoons kimchi (can substitute with sesame seed oil, chili sauce, or Sriracha)
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen corn
- ¼ cup carrot shreads
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (can substitute with coconut oil or sesame oil)
- ¼ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked brown rice noodles. (can substitute with udon, soba noodles, vermicelli or spaghetti)
- green onions, finely diced (optional)
- mason jar (the wide mouth containers work best)
- Cook noodles according to package
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in small pan on medium heat
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes
- Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside
- Add bouillon paste to the bottom of a mason jar
- Spoon kimchi on top
- Add corn, carrots, and sautéed mushrooms
- Put noodles on top
- Top with green onions.
- When ready to eat, remove lid and pour hot water into the mason jar. Let sit for a few minutes, then enjoy!
Now tell me friends, what would be your favorite mason jar ramen recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
You can find this recipe along with other creations I’ve made on Brit + Co