Chopped kale, carrots, purple cabbage, and quinoa all drizzled in a zesty carrot ginger dressing? Sign me up! This kale quinoa salad is super healthy and can be whipped up in less than 20 minutes! A salad recipe that is the perfect vegan meal!
Kale and quinoa, basically the most popular superfoods out there. When combined in a salad it’s basically like an extra healthy salad.
Don’t get me started on the carrot ginger dressing too. My goodness, it’s like liquid gold and the best part is, the base is carrots giving you that extra veggie intake!
Ingredients in this kale quinoa salad recipe:
- Kale – any variety will go or any greens you’d like
- Quinoa – I like tri-color for more colors, but regular white quinoa is equally as good
- Shredded carrots
- Purple Cabbage
- Slivered almonds
- Carrot ginger dressing
How to prepare kale for salad
Kale can be mighty tough and hard to digest if consumed raw. With a few tips and tricks, you can get palatable kale that’s perfect for a salad base!
- Start by removing the leaves from the tough stems
- Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces and put in a bowl
- Fill the bowl with warm water and massage. It’s important the water is warm as this helps break down the toughness in kale
- Rinse and drain the kale
- Lay out on towels or paper towels to air dry
How to make carrot ginger dressing
The main ingredients in this dressing are in the title – carrots and ginger! Which is actually kinda cool that you’re getting vegetables in your dressing too. Fresh ginger brings a nice kick to this recipe and is healthy for you as well.
- Start by peeling and chopping fresh ginger and carrots in placing in a food processor or blender
- Add garlic, agave, rice vinegar, olive oil, sesame seed oil, and water.
- Turn the food processor on high and let it do the work.
Tip: Some food processors or lower grade blenders can make this dressing kind of chunky from the carrots as oppose to silky smooth. You can try adding water to thin, but it’s ideal to use a strong tool to do the job! If you don’t have great equipment, it’s okay, I promise the taste will not be compromised!
How to make kale quinoa salad
- Add kale, cooked quinoa, carrots, and purple cabbage to a large serving bowl
- Top with carrot ginger dressing and slivered almonds
Variations of this kale and quinoa salad:
Any combination of vegetables and protein is great with this carrot ginger dressing.
- Swap out spinach or romaine for kale
- Add edamame or tofu for some extra protein
- Add toasted almonds and cashews on top for a nice crunch!
No matter what vegetable/protein route you choose to take, I swear this dressing is a winner.
Is this kale quinoa salad good for meal prep?
Absolutely! You can prep the kale and put it in single-serving containers with the carrots and cabbage. Make the quinoa and put it in a separate container. The dressing can be made in advance as well and stored in a mason jar.
When ready to eat, add quinoa and top with dressing and almonds.
This salad will keep for about a week with the veggies, quinoa, and dressing stored separately.
So next time you run into a work lunch rut and are seeking to step your game up, look no further with this chopped kale salad. Not only is it filling and satisfying, but it’s also so simple to make yet so healthy! Whether you make this salad recipe as a side dish for dinner or make a huge bowl as a meal, this kale salad with carrot ginger dressing is exactly what you need in your life, my friends.
If you tried this kale salad with carrot ginger dressing, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Want more delicious salad recipes? Try:
Summer Peach Salad
Vegan Greek Kale Salad
Thai Quinoa Salad with Almond Butter Dressing
Vegan Hippie Salad with “Cheesy” Cilantro Dressing
Kale Quinoa Salad with Carrot Ginger DressingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
For the Salad:
- 4 cups curly kale destemmed and torn
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked
For the Dressing:
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped (can use 1 cup of shredded carrots instead)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice about the juice of one lime
- 2 Tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or other neutral oil like grapeseed
- 1/2 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place 1 cup of water in a pot on high heat. Bring to boil.
- Rinse quinoa in sieve and place in the pot of boiling water. Place lid on the pot and reduce heat to low-medium. Cook until all water is evaporated (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and let sit.
- Destem and tear kale. Wash kale by massaging under warm water. Rinse and lay out on towels to dry.
- Add washed kale to a large mixing bowl, add carrots and cabbage.
- Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork and add to salad. Mix well.
Make the Dressing:
- In a food processor, add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and add salt if needed.
- To serve, add kale to bowls and top with dressing. Add sliced almonds on top.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!