If there’s one thing that was hard for me to vegan-fy since becoming a vegetarian was a proper burger. There’s something about burger and fries that is just so damn comforting and American. These veggie burgers are bursting with flavor making me never look back on a traditional burger.
Here’s what makes these bad boys so good:
- Toasted quinoa: It adds a nice crunch and packs in protein
- White beans: Gives it a nice texture and adds fiber
- Roasted red peppers and sun dried tomatoes: because YUMM
- Pesto: This makes them so saucy and the flavor just marries with the burger so well
Veggie burgers are so versatile because you can enjoy them with hamburger buns, or my favorite, on top of a loaded salad. They can be added to an egg scramble for breakfast or enjoyed with some of this pesto on it’s own.
- 2 flax eggs*
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup oat flour**
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 1 can white beans
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup basil leaves
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic (roughly 4 cloves)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix 2 Tablespoons ground flax with 5 Tablespoons water. Place in fridge to set.
- Add teaspoon olive oil to pot on medium heat
- Rinse quinoa and add to pan. Toast for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to boil for 13-15 minutes until quinoa is cooked
- Remove from burner and place lid on top
- In small pan on medium heat, cook sundried tomatoes and onions for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant (about 30 seconds)
- Add ½ cup rolled oats to blender or food processor and blend into a flour
- Drain can of white beans and add to large mixing bowl. Mash beans in bowl with backside of fork.
- Fluff quinoa with fork and remove flax eggs from fridge. Add to mixing bowl with white beans along with oat flour, veggies, and seasonings.
- Put in fridge for 20 mins to help bind ingredients. (if have time - if not that's okay)
- Using a mason jar lid, make mixture into patties
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth
** To make oat flour, simply grind rolled oats in food processor until flour consistency is reached
Show me your take on this veggie burger by snapping a pic and tagging me on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado! I’d love to see your creation. Cheers, friends!