Looking for a delicious plant-based burger that holds together and tastes amazing? These white bean burgers fits the bill. Toasted quinoa, white beans, roasted red peppers, capers, and more come together to make this delicious vegan burger!
If there’s one thing that was hard for me to vegan-fy since becoming a vegetarian was a proper burger. There’s something about burger and fries that is just so damn comforting and American. These veggie burgers are bursting with flavor making me never look back on a traditional burger.
Here’s what makes these vegan white bean burgers so good:
- Toasted quinoa: It adds a nice crunch and packs in protein
- White beans: Gives it a nice texture and adds fiber
- Roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, and capers: because YUMM
- Pesto: This makes them so saucy and the flavor just marries with the burger so well
Ingredients for white bean veggie burger:
I like to call these veggie burgers an “Italian burger” because well, there are so many delicious Italian ingredients!
- Roasted red peppers
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- White beans
- Oat flour
How to Make Veggie Burgers:
- Prepare veggies. Cook in a pan until onions are translucent.
- Toast quinoa a pot for 1-2 minutes. Add water and bring to boil. Let cook for 13-15 minutes
- Drain beans and mash well in mixing bowl
- Add cooked veggies, cooked quinoa, oat flour, flaxseed, and seasonings
- Make patties
- Cook 20 minutes
Tip: Get as much liquid out of the roasted red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes as possible. The less liquid, the less the veggie burger will fall apart.
Pro Tip: To make uniform patties, use a measuring cup (I use 1/3 cup) so each veggie burger is equal. This recipe will yield 6 burgers.
How to make pesto
Pesto is super easy to make and best of all, this pesto recipe is vegan!
- Add basil, parsley, and nuts in food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped
- Add garlic and nutritional yeast and run on low
- Slowly pour in olive oil to emulsify until pesto is well blended
- Stop the food processor and stir in salt and pepper to taste
Can you freeze homemade veggie burgers?
Yes! I like to make a big batch to keep some in the freezer. That way I always have a quick and easy meal on hand. Simply reheat and eat on top of a big salad or eat as a regular veggie burger!
If you tried this vegan white bean burger recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Italian White Bean BurgersPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
For the Veggie Burger:
- 1/4 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil thoroughly drained and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper thoroughly drained and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup oat flour*
- 1 14.5-ounce can white beans rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Pesto:
- 1-1/2 cup fresh basil leaves packed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves packed (can substitute with 1/2 cup basil or baby spinach)
- 1/3 cup walnuts can substitute with pine nuts
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast can substitute with parmesan or romano cheese if not vegan
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- arugula or spinach, baby kale, romaine lettuce
- tomato slices
- hamburger buns
To Make Veggie Burgers:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Rinse quinoa and add to a pot on medium heat. Toast for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and bring to boil, cover and cook for 13-15 minutes until quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed .
- Remove from burner and keep the lid on top.
- In a pan over medium heat add sun-dried tomatoes and onions. Cook until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Add roasted red peppers, capers, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to mixing bowl when done.
- Add rolled oats to blender or food processor and blend into a flour. Add to mixing bowl with cooked veggies.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and add to mixing bowl. Add white beans, flaxseed, and seasonings.
- Use a potato masher or backside of a fork and mash the white beans until desired consistency is reached.
- Use a 1/3 measuring cup to make the patties and transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
To Make Pesto:
- Add basil, parsley, and walnuts to a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped (about 8 times)
- Add nutritional yeast and garlic cloves. Blend on low.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour olive oil to emulsify until well blended. Stop the food processor and season with salt and pepper.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!