Eeek it’s finally Fall! Apple season is amongst us and I’m so ready for it. This apple spice granola is becoming a normal food in my diet and I’m not even mad about it. Made with real apples, pecans, and sweetened with maple syrup, it’s by far one of my favorite granola flavors yet. Plus, it’s full of clusters which makes this homemade granola so indulgent. Add this healthy homemade granola on top of your smoothie bowl or oatmeal for a vegan and gluten free crunch. Have it in a bowl with some almond milk, heck add it on top of vanilla ice cream – this granola is versatile!
Growing up in New England, Fall is absolutely breathtaking – one thing I took for granted living there. Moving to California, I miss the simple pleasures of Fall so much – like the changing of the leaves, apple picking, and crisp chilly evenings. It’s just not the same on the west coast. I love to make a trek back to the east coast to visit family around Fall time because it’s truly one of my favorite seasons since moving across country! I’ll be heading back to Connecticut this week and I will be getting my hands on all the apple spice donuts (and Dunkin Donuts) I can. This apple spice granola brings me down memory lane. The aromatic smells of apple spice takes over my entire house when making a big batch of this granola, reminding me of the Autumn season. This Fall granola is wholesome, natural, refined sugar free, and so easy to make. Not to mention it costs pennies in comparison to store bought granola.
Since this granola recipe calls for real apples, you must dehydrate the apples first. I chopped my apples in small pieces to reduce the baking time. If you are crunched on time, you can always substitute the apples for apple chips, but I prefer using fresh apples. When done, they were slightly chewy still, so they were not entirely dehydrated, but they taste so good that way! If you would like a more shelf stable recipe, I would recommend using apple chips or dehydrating the fresh apples for longer. However, I tend to eat this batch in a week so as long as you store in an air tight container such as a mason jar, you’re good.
Chunky Apple Spice GranolaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 small apples diced finely
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas (or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup raw slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit
- Core apples and cut into small pieces
- Arrange apples on non stick baking sheet evenly
- Bake for 30 minutes
- While apples are baking, put remaining ingredients in medium size mixing bowl. Mix well.
- After 30 minutes is up, remove baking sheet from oven and add granola to baking sheet
- Increase oven temperature to 275 degrees Fahrenheit
- Put baking sheet back in oven and bake for 40 minutes
- Using a spatula, carefully flip granola
- Do not open over door or mix granola before 40 minutes. This will break up any clusters!
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Store leftovers in an airtight container