These soft and chewy vegan peanut butter cookies are ridiculously easy to make in just one bowl with a handful of simple ingredients. And not only is this foolproof peanut butter cookie recipe eggless, it’s also gluten-free!
Everyone loves a good peanut butter cookie. Rich with sweet and savory peanut butter, perfectly chewy and pillowy soft, you’ll be amazed that these classic cookies are made without any eggs or flour. They taste just as delicious as traditional peanut butter cookies, but have way less carbs and are totally free of any animal products.
This vegan and gluten-free cookie recipe is perfect for holiday baking or cookie swaps. After all, a Christmas cookie spread wouldn’t be complete without a fresh batch of peanut butter cookies made from scratch!
Ingredients in these vegan and gluten-free peanut butter cookies
Peanut butter is the star ingredient in this recipe. Along with rich, creamy PB you need both granulated and brown sugar, baking soda, a flax egg, salt, and a splash of vanilla. That’s it!
How do you make vegan peanut butter cookies from scratch?
This is seriously the easiest, most foolproof recipe for making the best eggless and gluten-free peanut butter cookies. Whip up a batch in just three simple steps:
- Combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Shape the cookies into balls, and flatten with a fork by making two depressions like in the pictures.
- Bake and enjoy!
Pro Tip: Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking. Due to high-fat content from the peanut butter, these cookies can spread. Chilling the dough helps resolve that issue.
Ahh the signature criss-cross we all look for in a classic peanut butter cookie. But have you ever wondered…
Why do peanut butter cookies have fork marks?
Peanut butter cookies are super dense, and flattening them with a fork promotes even baking. The more you know, right?!
Why are my vegan peanut butter cookies falling apart?
Ideally you want your peanut butter cookies to be soft and chewy. But sometimes these cookies will get a bit crumbly if there’s not enough moisture in the batter. Make sure you’ve properly made the flax egg with enough water and that you’ve used plenty of peanut butter.
I also find I get the best results when I’ve thoroughly stirred the peanut butter before adding to this recipe to ensure that the oil is mixed evenly.
How do you store homemade peanut butter cookies?
Keep completely cooled vegan peanut butter cookies stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze them in plastic bags for up to 3 months.
If you tried these vegan and gluten-free peanut butter cookies, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Here are more vegan cookie recipes you’ll love:
- Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (Vegan + GF)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter see notes for tip!
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 Tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Make flax egg: Mix ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl and place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to set.
- Mix all ingredients together using a rubber spatula. The dough should be thick and not stick to your hands when you touch it. Let rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough, and place on baking sheet. Using the backside of a fork, make a criss-cross on the top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges look crispy.
- Let cool completely before transferring to a cooling rack.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!