Dried figs, walnuts and hemp seeds rolled into a little bliss ball! Best of all, they only require 6 ingredients and can be thrown together in less than 20 minutes. These fig energy balls are perfect for a healthy bite-sized snack.
What’s an energy ball anyways?
Bliss balls, energy bites, protein balls… whatever you want to call ’em are bite-sized snacks that are a great afternoon pick-me-up or pre-workout snack. The recipe is extremely adaptable, meaning you can get creative with any flavor combo you want and use any ingredients on hand! That’s my kinda recipe.
Okay, so were you a Fig Newton fan growing up? My friends would make fun of me saying they are “old people cookies” but I LOVEEE Fig Newtons and I don’t care who knows it! These bliss balls taste JUST LIKE the inside of a Fig Newton except they are naturally vegan, gluten-free, paleo, and full of simple, healthy ingredients!
What’s inside these energy balls?
- Dried figs
- Hemp seeds
- Maple syrup
Yup, that’s it. Easy-peasy right?
How to make fig energy balls:
Roll into balls, and voila! Now place them in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
Pro tip: Before processing the figs, it’s recommended you soak the figs in warm water for about 5-10 minutes.
Ways to customize this energy ball recipe:
Okay, so we got the foundation covered. Here’s how you can change up the recipe to your liking!
- Craisins or raisins
- Chia Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Flax seeds
- Dark chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- Cashew, almond, peanut, or sun butter
- Substitute walnuts for pecans, or cashews
- Fresh orange zest
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Swap out half the figs for dates (just make sure they are pitted before you process them! Learn from my mistake.)
If you tried this fig bliss ball recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Fig Energy Balls (Vegan + GF)
- 1.5 cup dried figs (about 24 dried figs)
- 1 cup walnuts can substitute with pecans, or cashews
- 3 Tablespoons hemp seeds can substitute with chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Soak figs in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse walnuts until coarsely chopped.
- Add vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and hemp seeds. Pulse until well combined (about 5 times).
- Drain the figs and add to the food processor. Process on low until wet, sticky dough forms.
- Form into balls and let set in the fridge (about 20 minutes). Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!