Kale chips covered in everything bagel seasoning? Yes, please! Behold is this beloved kale chips recipe with everything bagel seasoning. This vegan snack is cheesy, nutty, salty, and just downright delicious. It’s the perfect healthy substitute for that salty and savory snack craving. Get yourself some bunches of this leafy green and learn how to make this recipe!
This post was originally published in January 2017. New photos have been added and more tips on how to make homemade kale chips.
Have you guys ever wondered why more foods aren’t seasoned with everything bagel seasoning?
Don’t get me wrong, I love bagels, but why is this delicious seasoning reserved for bread only? The first time I got my hands on a jar of everything bagel seasoning, it was my new go-to way to seasons all the foods (especially avocado toast!)
Also, Trader Joe’s carries everything bagel seasoning now too. Say goodbye to bland foods forever!
What is everything bagel seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is the perfect combination of toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, and salt.
How to make kale chips
- Start by washing and massaging the kale. Lay the kale out on a kitchen towel for at least 30 minutes to completely dry. I like to blot the kale with another kitchen towel as well.
- Add other ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake low and slow (275 for about 25-30 minutes)
Tips for baking kale chips:
- The most crucial step when baking kale chips is to make sure the kale is thoroughly dry! I like to give mine a good rinse then set it on a tea towel or paper towels to air dry.
- Make sure to massage the kale well. This will help break it down and make it more palatable
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. You want one even layer of kale on the baking sheet. They do shrink when baking, but if the pan is overcrowded, it’ll trap the moisture and result in soggy kale.
A note about nutritional yeast
Even though this kale chips recipe is vegan, it has a cheesy flavor that really takes these to the next level! Nutritional yeast is the secret weapon. For those of you who are familiar with vegan cooking, have this ingredient in stock in the kitchen all the time. It’s a natural ingredient that has a flavor similar to cheese. Add it to pasta, soups, and yes, even kale chips!
Tip: For more vegan pantry essentials, check out my full list here!
If you tried this everything bagel kale chips recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Everything Bagel Kale Chips
- 1 bunch kale
- 1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1.5 Tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove stems from kale and tear into large pieces with your hands. Thoroughly wash them by massaging them under warm running water. Lay on paper towels or a kitchen towel to dry for at least 30 minutes to an hour. You can blot the kale as well with paper towels or a kitchen towel.
- Put washed kale in large mixing bowl and add olive oil. Massage with hands to equally distribute.
- Add nutritional yeast and everything bagel seasoning and mix until well coated.
- Spread kale chips in an even single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Mix gently with a spatula and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Be sure to watch carefully to prevent burning. Continue stirring and baking in 10 minute increments until chips are crispy and not soggy.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. I let mine sit on a pan all day before putting in a container. If you store them before they are completely dry, they will become soggy.
- Store leftovers in a container without lid for up to 3 days. Best eaten fresh!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!