Raise your hand if your love for Thai food and slow cooker recipes is equal? Because this slow cooker curry is LEGIT, my friends. It only takes 20 minutes to prep a healthy and delicious butternut squash curry recipe that can be cooked while you are out living life!
This post was originally published 3/2017. Post has been updated with more tips, new photos, and an updated recipe!
Have you ever just wanted to curl up with a big bowl of comfort food and binge watch Netflix? I’m assuming most of you have done this before but I’m so on that level. The weather has been gloomy and it’s a sweatpant wearing, house lounging type lifestyle these days.
Behold this amazing Thai curry recipe featuring butternut squash.
Reasons why I love this recipe:
- So easy to make (literally just throw everything in a slow cooker!)
- Full of flavor
- Super creamy
- Gluten-free (just pair with quinoa or cauliflower rice)
Ingredients for butternut squash curry
- Butternut squash
- Red curry paste
- Liquid aminos (can use coconut aminos or soy sauce)
- Coconut sugar (can use cane sugar)
- Coconut milk
- Vegetable broth
How to cut a butternut squash
- Start by peeling the butternut squash with a vegetable peeler
- Cut the squash in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds
- Cut into 1-inch cubes
How to make butternut squash curry
Add all the ingredients (minus the kale) to your slow cooker. Mix well.
Place the lid on and cook 3-4 on low or 6-8 hours on high.
Once the curry is done cooking, remove a few spoonfuls of the curry to a blender. Blend until smooth and add back to the slow cooker. This helps to give the curry a super creamy consistency without any dairy!
Add the kale and give it a good stir until the kale is vibrant green and slightly wilted.
Serve this Thai butternut squash curry with rice, cilantro, crushed peanuts, chili flakes, and a lime wedge. A meal that looks like a ton of effort was involved but in reality, it’s SO EASY!
If you tried this slow cooker curry recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 medium butternut squash cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 Tablespoon liquid aminos (can substitute with soy sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch of curly kale destemmed and chopped
- chili flakes
- chopped peanuts
- Prepare the butternut squash by peeling skin with a vegetable peeler and cutting in half length-wise. Spoon out the seeds and cut into 1-inch cubes. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add onion, coconut milk, vegetable broth, red curry paste, liquid aminos, coconut sugar, salt, garlic, and ginger to the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When done cooking, transfer a few spoonfuls (I use a ladle) to a blender and blend until smooth. Add back to the curry along with the kale and stir well.
- Serve with steamed rice, fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts, chili flakes, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice (all optional but highly recommended!)
- Cook time will depend on Crockpot settings
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for about 1 week
- Leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!