Raise your hand if your love for Thai food and slow cooker recipes is equal? Because this slow cooker curry is LEGIT, my friends. Only takes 20 minutes to prep a healthy and delicious dinner recipe that can be cooked while you are out living life!
Have you ever just wanted to curl up with a big bowl of comfort food and binge watch Netflix? I’m assuming most of you have done this before but I’m so on that level. The weather has been gloomy and it’s a sweat pant wearing, house lounging type lifestyle these days. Behold this amazing Thai curry recipe featuring butternut squash.
I started getting a CSA box delivered to my house weekly. There’s this company in the Bay Area called Imperfect Produce and their mission is to sell produce that isn’t as aesthetically pleasing to sell in a grocery store. CSA boxes are great because it’s a cost-efficient way to get local, in-season produce. It’s also a fun challenge for me to figure out a way to use my veggies. This week I got a butternut squash and I thought of putting it in a curry because why not. One of these days I will attempt to make my own curry paste, but you can find jars at your local grocer and it’s as easy as mixing it with coconut milk. I also added kale to get some greens in there and this addition makes a nice texture with the squash.
Health benefits of butternut squash:
- Great source of fiber
- Packed with Vitamin C – which is perfect that this vegetable is in season when the common cold is in full swing!
- Heart healthy
- Lowers blood pressure
The list goes on and on, those are just some of the big pointers. Check out this list to go into more detail!
Besides all the health factors, butternut squash adds a special creaminess to this recipe with I love. Curries have such a bold flavor profile but they are so easy to make – especially in the crockpot. Just throw all the ingredients in there and forget about it. I’m always on the lookout for a good crockpot dinner recipe because they are so easy and so flavorful and this Thai curry recipe fits the bill. Pair it with some brown rice or quinoa for a hearty vegan meal and now you’ll all set to get your Netflix binging game on.
If you tried this slow cooker curry recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Crockpot Butternut Squash Thai CurryPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth (1 carton)
- 3 Tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/2 Tablespoon liquid aminos (can substitute with soy sauce)
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 bunch of curly kale destemmed and chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons chili garlic sauce (optional)
- brown rice
- Prepare the butternut squash by cutting in half vertically and peeling skin with a vegetable peeler. Remove seeds and chop into 1-inch cubes
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, liquid aminos, and red curry paste into Crockpot. Stir well
- Stir in coconut sugar, garlic, and ginger
- Add chopped squash and place lid on
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- 2 minutes before serving, add chopped kale and mix well
- Serve with steamed brown rice, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!