Chia pudding with almond milk, layered with a delicious cherry compote, and enrobed in a chocolate drizzle. This chocolate cherry chia pudding is so decadent, it’s hard to believe it’s healthy and vegan. Layer in glass jars for a stunning dessert recipe that is a crowd pleaser!
Fruit and chocolate is the ultimate flavor combo.
Chocolate and cherry specifically.
So why not make it into a chia pudding?
This chocolate cherry chia pudding parfait is great for all occasions. You can put it in small glass containers for the perfect self-serving sized treat (or even for breakfast!)
Ingredients in chocolate cherry chia pudding
Parfaits are all about the layers and in this chia pudding recipe, we have three steps: the chia pudding, the cherry compote, and the chocolate topping.
If you would like to cut the prep time down, add chocolate chips instead of making the chocolate topping, I can vouch it’s just as delicious!
- The chia pudding is made from almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla, and maple syrup
- The cherry compote is cherries, sugar, and cornstarch
- The chocolate topping is dark chocolate chips and coconut oil
What is chia pudding?
Chia seeds are a great source of vegan protein and are great for detoxing. They make an excellent ingredient in pudding recipes because when mixed with a liquid (in this case almond milk), they become gelatinous and “pudding-like”.
How to make cherry compote
Cherry compote sounds so fancy but it’s really so easy to make!
- In a small saucepan, add frozen cherries
- In a separate bowl, mix together water and sugar until water is dissolved
- Add water and sugar mixture to cherries and heat on medium until cherries start to bubble
- Reduce to low heat and let simmer until cherries break down (about 15-20 minutes). Stir and mash cherries in between
- Add a small amount of cornstarch to thicken the compote
How to make vegan chocolate sauce
Mix together the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil and microwave for 30-second increments, mixing in between until it’s silky smooth.
How to assemble chia pudding parfaits
- Spoon chia pudding into bottom of glass jars
- Add layer of cherry compote
- Add another layer of chia pudding
- Top with cherries and chocolate sauce
Variations of this chia pudding recipe
- For my chocolate lovers out there, you can add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the chia pudding recipe to make a chocolate chia pudding. This gives you all the black forest flavor, but with healthy vibes.
- Try substituting the almond milk with coconut milk for a slightly different (and tasty) flavor.
- The compote recipe can work with other berries too, so you can try raspberry or blueberry if you’d prefer.
- Better yet, swap out the chocolate sauce with granola, or chopped almonds for a delicious crunch!
This recipe makes a healthy dessert recipe or even a breakfast recipe. It’s filling thanks to the chia pudding and tastes amazing paired with the cherry compote!
If you tried this chocolate chia pudding recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Chocolate Cherry Chia Pudding ParfaitPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherries frozen
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 6 ounce glass jars
- Add all ingredients for chia pudding in a large mason jar. Shake well. Place in refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours, preferably overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix together cane sugar and warm water until dissolved.
- Add cherries to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a slow bubble. Reduce heat to low-medium and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring and mashing cherries frequently.
- After 20 minutes, add cornstarch to cherry compote and stir well. Remove from heat and let sit to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments stirring between each round until chocolate is completely melted.
- To assemble parfaits, add a layer of chia pudding and then cherry compote. Repeat until jars are full. Top with additional cherries (optional) and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!