Yeah all you avocado fans, I’m takin’ to you. Avocado dessert recipes are my latest obsession and I can’t wait to tell you about the green and creamy dessert recipe. This super easy chocolate avocado bars are THE most decadent healthy dessert, you won’t even believe it’s avocado (well besides the color). Believe it or not, avocado goes great in desserts because it adds this layer of creaminess without all the bad fats. Mix it with some sweetener and it’s out of this world. That’s why it’s getting all the attention in this dessert recipe because you won’t even believe it’s raw vegan, paleo, Whole30, etc. The chocolate layer is packed with dates and cashews creating this chocolatey, nutty, goodness. Combine this with the avocado layer and it’s one melt in your mouth dessert bar.
When I embarked on my healthy journey, one of the missions I set out for was finding and creating healthier dessert recipes. I can’t just go cold turkey and cut ALL sweets out of my life – that would be pure torture. That’s not to say I still don’t indulge in some sugar heavy fat laden dessert, but it’s all about balance in my life. Sometimes I just want something sweet, but I don’t want to feel terrible after doing so. Healthy dessert recipes have become my savior because it proves to me that eating healthy CAN and DOES taste good. You don’t need to throw away all the food pleasures in life to make some good choices!
- 1 cup medjool dates (roughly 10, pitted)
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-3 medium avocados (about ¾ cup)
- 4 Tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- blender or food processor
- 8 x 8 inch brownie pan
- Add all ingredients for bottom layer to blender or food processor. Blend until dates are smooth and nuts are in tiny pieces.
- Pour contents into 8 x 8-inch brownie pan and, using hands, smooth out on bottom of pan.
- Place pan in freezer while working on top layer.
- Add avocados to a bowl and mash well with the back of a fork.
- Rinse out blender or food processor and add all ingredients for top layer and blend until completely smooth.
- Remove pan from freezer and pour on top of bottom layer in 8 x 8-inch pan and smooth out. Use knife or spatula to smooth out top.
- Freeze 4-6 hours or overnight to set.
- Leftovers keep in freezer. When ready to serve, let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
So tell me avo lovers, what do you think about these healthy avocado bars?
You can find this recipe along with other creations I’ve made on Brit + Co!