Fluffy pancakes enrobed in pure maple syrup? Yes, please! What’s even better is this pancake recipe is vegan and gluten-free. Make these chickpea flour pancakes for the perfect sweet breakfast recipe.
Team waffle or team pancake?
I’m a team pancake kinda gal. They are simpler to make and don’t require a special appliance. Don’t get me wrong, I love me a pile of waffles, but pancakes have my heart. *sorry Leslie Knope
This pancake recipe is a favorite of mine because it’s vegan, made of protein-rich chickpea flour, oil and refined-sugar free.
What is chickpea flour?
Chickpea flour, also known as gram flour, is a naturally gluten-free flour. It’s made from chickpeas aka garbanzo beans and it’s traditionally used to make falafel and is common in many Indian dishes.
Today, chickpea flour has gained some popularity in the healthy space for being a sturdy, protein-packed, gluten-free flour. Chickpea flour can be used on its own meaning it doesn’t have to be blended with other varieties to make a GF flour blend.
Note: If you never tried chickpea flour before, it can have a chewier, dense texture. This is due to the high protein content (and lack of gluten). If gluten is not a concern for you, you can substitute 50% of the chickpea flour with all-purpose flour!
Where can I buy chickpea flour?
Chickpea flour can be found online and in all health food stores or in the health food aisle. My favorite brand is Bob’s Red Mill!
How to make chickpea flour pancakes:
- Start out by whisking together the dry ingredients
- Add plant-based milk and applesauce. Whisk until pancake batter is well combined. The batter will be thick and scoopable
- Pout onto preheated pan or griddle and cook until edges are golden brown and bubbly
- Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes
Serving suggestions for these chickpea flour pancakes:
- maple syrup (obviously)
- top with fresh, seasonal fruit (berries, figs, peaches, plums, bananas, etc.)
- pile on homemade vegan coconut whipped cream
- cinnamon, powdered sugar (ensure it’s vegan!)
- chopped nuts (walnuts and pecans taste great)
If you tried these chickpea flour pancakes, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Chickpea Flour Pancakes (Vegan + GF!)
These chickpea flour pancakes are vegan, gluten-free, oil and refined-sugar free! Top with fresh fruit, chopped nuts, and maple syrup for the ultimate sweet breakfast of champions.
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk can substitute with another plant-based milk
- 2 Tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- non-stick cooking spray I like Trader Joe's coconut oil spray!
- fresh fruit berries, peaches, figs, bananas
- pure maple syrup
- vegan whipped cream
Preheat griddle or pan on low-medium heat.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder until all big clumps are removed.
Add applesauce, milk, and vanilla. Whisk until just combined. There might still be some clumps or traces of flour but that is okay.
Spray hot griddle or pan with non-stick cooking spray. Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop the batter up and pour onto griddle or pan. Cook until edges are golden brown and bubbling. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Serve warm and top with desired toppings!
If gluten is not a concern for you, you can substitute 1/4 cup of the chickpea flour with 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for a fluffier, lighter texture!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!