Pulled jackfruit smothered in barbeque sauce and paired with coleslaw is what dreams are made of. This BBQ jackfruit recipe only requires a few ingredients and can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. Get yo grub on with this easy vegan recipe!
Pulled pork sandwiches were one of my favorite things to eat growing up, but since becoming vegetarian, I’ve had to get real creative with some delicious substitutes. This vegan pulled pork swap is so close to the real deal I’m almost positive you can trick your non veg friends 😉
What is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit common in Asia and looks like a HUGE spiky watermelon shaped fruit. Now I’ve watched YouTube videos on how to open a jackfruit, and it looks pretty crazy. Luckily they sell canned jackfruit which is way more convenient because one, we don’t have jackfruit naturally in the US, and two, it’s a lot easier to cook with.
Where to buy canned jackfruit
- Trader Joes
- Asian Markets
- Asian aisle of the grocery store
Note: Jackfruit is sold in a can with brine or syrup. Make sure to get the canned jackfruit in brine! Syrup would make for an overly sweet recipe disaster.
Unlike pulled pork that takes hours to make, this jackfruit recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes!
How to make BBQ jackfruit:
- Start by heating jackfruit on medium/high heat
- Using a potato masher (or backside of a fork), start mashing jackfruit until the chunks break up
- Stir in seasonings and BBQ sauce!
Pile the bbq jackfruit onto a bun, lather on extra barbeque sauce, and top with coleslaw for the ultimate plant-based meal. This sandwich is a great rendition of the American classic meal.
Note: For all my vegan babes, try a tasty vegan coleslaw recipe to pair with your jackfruit sandwich!
BBQ jackfruit sandwiches make the perfect dinner for Summer picnics and barbeques. Wow your meat lovin’ friends with this simple and healthy recipe!
If you tried this vegan bbq jackfruit recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
If you like this jackfruit recipe, you’ll LOVE:
BBQ Jackfruit SandwichesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can jackfruit in brine
- 1 cup bbq sauce plus more for serving
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- hamburger buns
- Drain jackfruit and set aside
- Place a large pan over medium heat
- Add olive oil and jackfruit. Let cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove pan from stovetop and set aside. Using a potato masher or the backside of a fork, mash jackfruit well until it resembles pulled pork.
- Place pan back on stovetop and stir in seasonings and barbeque sauce. Let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add jackfruit to a hamburger bun. Top with extra barbeque sauce and coleslaw.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers keep for about a week.
- To store leftovers, keep jackfruit separate from coleslaw. When ready to eat, simply reheat jackfruit then top with cool coleslaw!
- I used Trader Joe's organic barbecue sauce and it's so delicious! Highly recommend.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!