Yep you read that right! Thanks to Starbucks, it’s officially pumpkin season. I’m a big fan of this fall favorite flavor and this pumpkin spice almond butter recipe is where it’s at. This comforting spread is not only healthy, but literally tastes like the inside of a pumpkin pie. Almond butter is a great snack that is high in protein and an excellent serving of healthy fats. There’s tons of healthy brands out there, but it’s so easy to make I don’t think I’ll go back to the store bought stuff again! The benefit of making it at home is you can control the amount of ingredients you add to it (think oils, salt, sugar) because most store brands do add these extras. Let’s not forget how cost efficient it is to make it yourself. Even I sometimes eye roll spending $10 on a jar of almond butter. In this recipe, I am giving almond butter a beautiful Fall makeover by adding pureed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and maple syrup. It’s delicious on toast, with apple slices, or even celery sticks. It’s also delicious from the spoon, but if you’re like me and don’t have self control, I don’t recommend because this almond butter will disappear. If that’s your style though go ahead, you do you! Let’s thank the pumpkin gods and get to this almond butter recipe.
Growing up in Connecticut, I was blessed to experience the traditional New England Fall. Apple picking, pumpkin patches, raking leaves, and cider donuts were quintessential to my youth. Since moving to California, I miss my traditional Autumn season. Not to say I can’t enjoy the Fall flavors, but the ambiance just isn’t the same. Don’t get me wrong, I loveeeee California, but I’ll take a little dose of that New England Fall back into my life.
Now the key to making this almond butter recipe so good my friends is roasting the almond first! This little step is crucial to taking the flavors to the next level. Roasting almonds really enhances their flavor and brings out the nutty aroma that makes almond butter taste so good. Unless you are adhering to a raw diet, please do not skip this step. I promise, it’s so worth it!
- 2 cups raw almonds
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup pure pumpkin canned
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Distribute almonds evenly on baking sheet
- Place on center rack and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove almonds from oven and let cool for 5 minutes
- Put almonds into food processor and blend until smooth (about 5 minutes) you may need to stop the food processor and scrape the sides as the almond butter tends to stick to the sides
- Pour almond butter into a small mixing bowl
- Add maple syrup, pumpkin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt
- Using a rubber spatula, fold ingredients together until completely smooth
- Store in mason jars or other air tight containers
There you have it my friends! A quick and easy almond butter recipe that is ready for Fall. If you don’t a food processor don’t sweat! Some blenders can do the trick. If not, try buying raw almond butter in the store and adding the pumpkin and spices to it. I guarantee it’ll taste just as good 😉