Move over salads, we got a new lunch option in town and it will change your lunch game forever. I try to eat a salad every day for lunch because it’s the easiest way (for me) to consume raw vegetables. But even I can get tired of salads day after day. Sometimes that craving for a good ol’ sandwich calls my name and that’s where this recipe comes into play. Chickpea salad has been around for awhile now and it’s a great replacement for the old mayonnaise-based tuna salad. Back in the day tuna salad was a favorite of mine for sandwiches, or if you’re a fellow New Englander, grinder. Since becoming vegetarian, this option is off the table. Never mind the fact that a mayo based sandwich lacks a lot of nutrients and packs on the fat.
I can hear you saying now “Well Amanda there are vegan/healthier mayonnaises out there and mayo is still technically vegetarian.” This is true; however, vegan mayonnaises I believe are OK for a sauce or condiment on occasion (like I did for my Vietnamese Spring Rolls) but everything in moderation. It’s not an ingredient I want to get in the habit of consuming on a regular basis. Lone and behold, this plant based recipe calls for avocado instead which is a healthier choice and sooo good. Just spread on a healthy whole grain bread, load on the veggies and enjoy yourself an easy vegan meal.
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Pour drained chickpeas to small mixing bowl
- Cut avocado lengthwise and remove pitt. Using a spoon, scoop into bowl
- Mash with back of fork or a potato masher
- Mix in celery and seasonings
- Make sandwich with filling and enjoy!
This would also be a great snack on crackers or on celery for an added crunch!